Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Super Bowl Fun

To be honest I'm not a fan of professional football, I prefer to watch college football but when the super bowl rolls around I'm all about it for two reasons - the commercials and the snacks! This year we are attending a superbowl party with some friends and have been asked to bring a dish. My usual football food - queso, spinach artichoke dip, jalapenos wrapped in bacon have already been assigned to others who are coming. Any suggestions on what to bring?

Jason is a bit disappointed I won't be fixing spinach artichoke dip (he loves it) and it's something I've worked on over the years so that it tastes just like the dip we used to have at a bar called Jake's next to Purdue's campus. On a side note, we loved hanging out at Jake's for great drink specials, free peanuts and free hot dogs (umm...ok, Jason liked the hot dogs, I'm not a fan). Ahh...Purdue memories, such fun times!

I could never find Jake's recipe for spinach artichoke dip or get anyone who worked there to share it but over the years I think I've gotten pretty close! Here's my recipe for Spinach Artichoke dip, if you have any football friendly recipes to share I would love to know!


1 package frozen chopped spinach
2 cans artichoke hearts
1 cup sour cream
1 cup real mayonaisse
1 package cream cheese
1 cup parmesean/romano shredded blend (this is made by Kraft and comes in a plastic container usually found in the refrigerated cheese section)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon garlic salt
Olive oil
chips/crackers for serving

Coat your baking dish with olive oil. Defrost spinach in the microwave and drain several times to get all the water out. Chop artichoke hearts. Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and pour into baking dish. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes. Serve warm.

2 comments: