Sunday, January 24, 2010

Comfort Food


A few weeks ago we had some really cold weather in San Antonio. Unusually cold for this far South. When I was preparing my grocery list with those chilly temperatures (which I do by category - produce, frozen, canned good, etc.) I found that I was wanting to make things like chicken and dumplings, chili and of course lasagna! Jason's favorite thing I cook is lasagna. This isn't any ordinary lasagna - it has a twist. My recipe includes a cream cheese and green onion layer. It might sound strange at first but it is amazing!

This recipe was given to me by my Grandmother in a cookbook she prepared for me when I went off to college. She had been given this recipe from a friend. This recipe had been passed down for years in her friend's family. I have made some changes to the recipe over the years to suit Jason.

This is definitely comfort food in our house!

The first thing I usually start with is getting the cream cheese out of the refrigerator so it can get to room temperature, then I start on the sauce.



I put cream cheese, sour cream and green onions in my mixer with a little milk to help it mix really well.




I didn't include photos of all the steps to make this but here's the final product before Jason got a hold of it!

Below is the recipe, let me know if you try it and how well it goes over in your house!

Lasagna
1 1/2 lb. hamburger 1 box lasagna noodles
1 box mushrooms 1/2 stick butter
1 onion (chopped) 1 small can tomato paste
1tsp.basil 1 tsp. oregano
1 bunch green onions (chopped) 4 chopped garlic cloves
1 pkg. cream cheese Garlic salt
1 large carton sour cream 2 pkgs. mozarella cheese 1 jar Ragu

In skillet saute onion, garlic, mushrooms in butter. In pot, combine Ragu, paste, oregano and basil. Brown hamburger with seasoning of garlic salt. Combine cooked and drained hamburger in pot with sauce and onion/garlic/mushrooms. Bring sauce to low boil and then turn to simmer and cover. Boil lasagna noodles 10-12 minutes. Drain, rinse and cool. Chop green onions and mix with mixer to sour cream and cream cheese. Place noodles and sauce in layers. In the middle smooth cream cheese mixture. Top with mozarella cheese. Place in oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and melted. ENJOY!!

1 comment:

  1. Yumm, this is right up my alley. I will def. try it!!

    ReplyDelete